Garda Permit

A Garda Permit is required to collect cash donations from the public and is issued under the Street and House To House Collections Act, 1962.

When is a permit required?

(a) Collecting in public places such as streets
(b) Seeking donations by collecting house to house
(c) Collecting outside a church grounds

When is a permit not needed?

(a) Collecting inside the grounds of a Church or other places of worship (NB You will need permission from the priest)
(b) Placing counter top collection units in shops and pubs
(c) Doing a bag pack in a supermarket

How to apply for a permit?

An application needs to be made to the Chief Superintendent of the local Garda Division office. This might not be the local Garda Station.

The ICTR has put together a good fact sheet on seeking a Garda Permit - click here to view it.

** The following products are inline with Garda recommendations and highly recommended by us **


(c) 2019. All Rights Reserved. Copying or reproducing this article is strictly prohibited without written consent from

Like most websites, this site uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website for our customers.By using this site you agree that we may store and access cookies on your devices, unless you have disabled your cookies.
View cookie policy Ok, got it